How will I benefit from counselling?
- It can help you to feel better about yourself, more comfortable, or more secure in the world
- It can help to reduce stress and thereby promoting physical health as well.
- You can work through problems with a skilled, and compassionate professional.
- You can identify your goals and determine the best course of action to achieve these.
- You can understand your own thoughts, feelings, and responses better
What degree of privacy and confidentiality is offered?
Counselling is a private process that often involves discussion of very sensitive issues. For the most part all information is completely confidential, however there are some exceptions:
- Confidentiality can be broken if the client is believed to be a danger to him or herself or someone else. A psychologist or other mental health professional may be required to break confidentiality in order to protect the client or the person that they are threatening to harm.
- If child abuse is suspected or reported in sessions this is required to be reported to the authorities.
- A court can also compel a psychologist to testify about what is discussed in therapy. This is not often done, but most ethics codes state that therapists are required to follow court orders.
What are the available dates and times for appointments?
This can be discussed with Northern Counselling and Psychology, however we operate Monday to Friday with before and after work/school times available. It should be noted that the most in demand times are between 4pm and 7pm each evening, so booking in advance is advised.
How long does a counselling session take?
Counselling sessions usually take 50 minutes, however children often require less time due to attention, fatigue and motivation.
How much does it cost to see a psychologist?
Northern Counselling and Psychology bulk bill through Medicare for clients with a valid Mental Health Care plan (MHCP). Private sessions for clients are available and cost $120 per session. Private health insurance often covers psychology, however you will need to check with your provider as to what they cover.
How many sessions can I have if referred under a Mental Health Plan by my GP?
You are entitled to up to 10 sessions per calendar year if your GP, Psychiatrist or Paediatrician completes a Mental Health Care Plan.
Am I eligible for a Medicare Rebate?
If you are paying privately and do not have a Mental Health care plan there is no Medicare rebate, however please check with Medicare for more information.
How can I pay for my sessions?
Cash, EFTPOS, Direct Debit in advance
Does Northern Counselling and Psychology write reports?
- We are able to provide reports, however these must be organised allowing time for the psychologist to complete (2-3 weeks).
- Medicare does not cover the cost of report preparation and the cost must be funded by the client or an appropriate third party.
- All reports must be paid in advance prior to the provision of the report.
Do you administer psychological tests for children?
A variety of assessment and tests are available including:
- Cognitive assessments
- Behavioural assessments
- Academic assessments
- Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome assessments